You are currently viewing How many years back can I get a Tax Refund?

How many years back can I get a Tax Refund?

How many years back can I get a Tax Refund?

Everyone is excited when they get some extra cash, especially when it was not expected. It immediately begins to feel like Christmas in springtime. This is how getting a tax refund can make you feel.

Tax refunds are simply funds given back to you when you overpay your tax. This can happen due to different reasons:

  1. When the IRS had made a mistake on your tax code
  2. When you start a new job and left tax due under this emergency code
  3. If you’re self-employed and you’ve paid more tax than is required for that year.
  4. If you work two jobs and both jobs are taxing you at basic rates.

Many tax refunds go unclaimed by taxpayers every year for a variety of reasons. This means that many people leave their money on the table and walk away. You may be one of them.

Every year, the IRS has millions of dollars with them which are funds for tax refunds to some taxpayers. The taxpayers who fail to claim their tax return usually fall under one the following categories;

– Self-employed individuals who paid their taxes but didn’t file as a result of their low income. Their earnings were beneath the threshold, so they are not mandated to file.

– Students

– People who fail to file the returns of their deceased family members who were due for a refund

– Workers who work part-time and had their income taxes withheld.


If you fall into any of the categories above, you may want to do a double check to see if you are due for a refund. The IRS might just be owing you some money. To find out for sure, go through your records and check if you have filed your returns for the last 3 years.

A refund is not automatic. You have to claim it and to do that, you must keep an eye on the tax you’re paying and file appropriately. It is impossible to claim a tax refund without filing your tax return.

In order to claim a tax refund that you’re due for, it is mandatory that you file your tax return. Also, you are required to do this within 3 years of the due date of the return.

About us

We are a tax relief firm dedicated to giving you the best results regarding resolving your tax debts. Our team of qualified professionals is available round the clock to provide you with the assistance you need. Contact us now at 888-585-8629 or 617-430-4674 or send us an email at

For more information, email

Internet subscribers, users, and online readers are advised not to act upon this information without seeking the service of a professional accountant. Any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this website is not intended to be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties, of any kind, under U.S. federal tax laws.