You are currently viewing CP16- We’ve made changes to your tax return

CP16- We’ve made changes to your tax return

Making sense of your CP16 notice

The cp16 is a notice the IRS sends to let you know that some changes were made to your tax return due to some other information they received after it had been submitted.

This is a somewhat straightforward notice to deal with because you don’t need to take any action if you agree with it. However did you disagree with it, you have to contact the IRS, and this must be done before the 60-day deadline elapses.


Why did the IRS send me a Cp16 notice?

You may be wondering why you received a CP16 Notice from the IRS. The reason is that you filed your tax return with them and they discovered an error while they processed it. The IRS went ahead to correct the error on your tax return resulting in changes to the information contained in your tax return.

The IRS can not do this without informing you about the change, thus, they send the cp16 to explain the adjustment to you and inform you of possible refunds the adjustment caused. They also let you know if the refunds have been redirected to cover some of your tax debts for other years.


What do I do about the IRS cp16?

Responding to the IRS cp16 notice requires caution. Your response can be quickly used against you if you are not careful. It is in your best interest to get the assistance of a tax professional to help you vet the notice you received, look at your tax transcript, and let you know what to do.

If you’re handling the notice alone without a professional, you should carefully read through it to understand the details. If the notice tells you that you’re about to receive a refund, you do not have to do anything else. No action is required from you.

However, if the notice shows that your tax refund was reduced or you owe taxes, then you have to take a microscopic look into the reason given for the adjustment and for reducing your refund.

Take another careful look at your tax return, especially the part that is being adjusted, to see for yourself.

If your refund is being used to pay off another tax debt, ensure that you verify it, check the debt status to see if it has been reduced and make plans towards paying off what is left of your debt.

If you disagree with any information regarding this notice, you should immediately contact the IRS to table your complaints. The deadline for responding to this notice is 60days counting from the day it was sent to you.


Frequently asked questions about the Cp16 notice

  • How do I find more details about the other tax debts?

If you’re not aware of the tax debt(s) that the IRS is using your refund to pay, you can find full details about it by using the Get Transcript application on the IRS website to get your tax return transcript. If you’re married, you can only access your partner’s information for the years your filing status is “Married filing jointly.”

  • What brought about the change in my tax return?

To find out what caused the adjustment on your return, you should review the cp 16 notice carefully, it has most of the details you need. Alternatively, you can contact the IRS to get more information.

  • I disagree with the debt my refund was applied to. What do I do?

The IRS does not consult with you before diverting your refund to pay up your tax debt. If you’re not okay with the debt the refund was applied to, you can contact the IRS by calling the number on the top right corner of your notice.


Need more answers?

We are a tax relief firm dedicated to giving you the best results with residency planning and audit assistance. Our team of qualified professionals is available round the clock to provide you with the assistance you need to successfully change your state of residence and with the help you need to face state taxation authorities just in case you’re getting audited by state authorities. Contact us now at 888-585-8629 or 617-430-4674 or send us an email at

For more information, email

Internet subscribers, users, and online readers are advised not to act upon this information without seeking the service of a professional accountant. Any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this website is not intended to be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties, of any kind, under U.S. federal tax laws.